Mobile Web Development with Drupal
Mobile web consumption is on the rise. Of the 4 billion mobile phones in use around the world, over 25% are smartphones, and over 75% are sms capable. By 2014, mobile internet usage is expected to overtake desktop internet usage. Numerous people today already access the internet exclusively on their smartphones and do not own a desktop/laptop. (dotMobi)
As Drupal developers, designers and themers, it's foolish for us to continue to assume that our work will only be viewed on a laptop or a desktop screen.
Today's website must deliver a tailored experience to the mobile web user that utilizes unique capabilities only available on such a device - geolocation, screen rotation, etc. Furthermore, this experience must be just as flawless as it is on their full size device. The mobile user expects personalization, interactivity, and most likely will not be paying full attention to your web app as he / she is using it.
This session is intended for those responsible for creating such experiences: architects, developers, themers and designers.
The following topics will be covered:
- What does a user expect when using a mobile site / web application?
- Planning your mobile web site and its content (either a from scratch mobile site or an add-on to an existing site)
- A classification of different devices and their capabilities
- Technical challenges and how to work around them
- Unique feature sets of mobile devices and how to use them to their full potential
- Device Detection
- Mobile web development tools
- Drupal modules for mobile web